Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Asher Chronicles Part 4 - Diary Entries

Diary Entry - 6th November 06

Ash is well and has been really happy for the past week or so. He has an appointment with a pediatrician this week Thursday to see why he hasnt started walking yet - he is also due for his 18mth old vaccinations.

Diary Entry - 10th November 06

I have been having a pretty rough week and havent been feeling the best. On Thursday Asher has his appointment with the pediatrician to determine why he isnt walking yet or isnt even interested in it.
He has been disgnosed with Congenital Hypotonia Syndrome which is also known as low muscle tone or Floppy Baby Syndrome. Although its not all bad news and we have an answer finally but I am still very worried and disappointed and angry.

The pediatrician said that its just going to take him a while longer to walk, the goal at this stage is to have him walking by 22mths.
We have to put all his toys up where he'll have to reach for them, he can only ride his bike for 20mins a day max and he has to crawl everywhere.
We have to help him with his language by using picture cards and he might need physio at The Childrens Hospital.

I feel like a failure in some ways. I feel sad and angry that this has happened to him and us and im hoping that there are no further complications. If he's not walking by 22mths then they will have to do more tests on him. I am also angry that not one Dr picked this up sooner, especially since we have been to so many of them. I am also angry because I feel like I cant talk to anyone about this.

Diary Entry - 15th November 06

As part of Ashers development stuff its recommended that he does an hours swimming a day so I took him to the aquatic centre. I just have to get him used to the water first because he is scared of it, he clings to me like a monkey. Anyway he cried for the first 30 minutes and then after that he was happy in my arms and we walked around the pool just getting used to it.

Diary Entry - 18th December 06

I cant wait until Wednesday so that I can finish off my christmas shopping. Asher and I might go to Toy R Us and see if they have something. I really worry about his development and if what im doing is helping him. He is my number one priority at the moment, I just cannot fail at this. I am taking him swimming again tomorrow. He is really enjoying the water lately, he loves it!. He's really moving around a lot in the bath too and I have noticed his confidence grow and grow. To think that the first time I took him swimming he screamed and screamed and now he splashes and kicks about and even trys to drink the water!. He is doing so many things now. He can even feed himself with a fork really well. A spoon is still a bit messy but we'll tackle that one next!.

No comments:

Post a Comment